Answered By: Jon Allinder
Last Updated: Mar 15, 2022     Views: 602

You can use the "Look up Advisors" tool in either ProQuest Dissertations & Theses Global or Dissertations & Theses @ Walden University to search for names of committee chairs (advisors). 

Note:  ProQuest uses the term advisor instead of chair. 

This is useful if you have a chair with a common surname. It is also useful to see the different variations of the name. Sometimes names are entered differently, or there might be a misspelling. The Look up Advisors tool will show those. 

  1. On the Library homepage click on Publications.

  2. Click on the button Dissertations & Theses

  3. Click the Dissertations & Theses at Walden University link.
    You may be prompted to log in with your myWalden Portal user name and password.
  4. You should now be on the Advanced Search page with more than one search box.
  5. Change the drop-down box in the first row to:

    Advisor - ADV
  6. Click on the link that appears below that box: Look up Advisors

    Note: You can also scroll down to find the link lower on the page
  7. Explore different options in the search box that pops up in the center of the screen.

For example, you can type in your chair's surname and click the Find button to see a list of entries. 
If you search for Schumaker you will see results such as: 

  • Schumaker, C. J.
  • Schumaker, C. J., Jr.
  • Schumaker, C.J.
  • Schumaker, Clarence
  • Schumaker, Clarence J.
  • Schumaker, Clarence J., Jr.
  • Schumaker, Clarence, @Jr.


More Information:


Do you have other Library questions?  Ask a Librarian!

More Information

Need more information? Ask us!

Or browse Quick Answers by Topic.