Answered By: Juli Konopa Last Updated: May 02, 2018 Views: 71
In addition to the current technical requirements for Walden’s online courses, the virtual residency requires you to have the following:
- Laptop or desktop computer
- Students are required to attend all sessions using a laptop or desktop computer (or other device) that enables them to see the screen and have access to download/read curriculum documents. (It is okay to call in on the phone as long as you also have a laptop/desktop to see the screen.)
- The virtual residency is designed to be a collaborative learning environment. You do have to use audio functions in order to listen to synchronous sessions.
- The residency sessions are designed as student-centered, interactive experiences where students are expected to take an active role in learning, contribute to dialogue, and participate fully in large and small group activities.
- Speaker options include:
- the computer’s speakers which allows you to listen to computer audio
- dial in with your phone using Zoom’s call in option to listen
- an external speaker with USB or AUX attachment or;
- a headset with USB or AUX attachment
- Students are required to have and use microphones to participate in large and small group discussion. (Mics are NOT optional).
- Microphone options include:
- the computer’s microphone which allows you to speak into computer microphone
- dial in with your phone using Zoom’s call in option to speak
- an external microphone with USB or AUX attachment or;
- a headset with microphone with USB or AUX attachment
- The synchronous sessions will have a chat feature that can be used in place of microphone when session leaders are presenting.
- Webcam – optional, but encouraged.
- Minimum resolution at 640 x 480 standard definition.
Access to the internet using high speed access (Cable, DSL, Network) is required for all virtual sessions.
The suggested speed is 1 Mbps or better (broadband recommended).
To learn about your internet speed, use Speedtest.net as a broadband speed analysis tool that allows anyone to test their Internet connection. The speed test will test all available bandwidth on your network, but it does not take into account other users on the network that may be using bandwidth at the same time.
Zoom web conferencing software
You must have the ability to run Zoom software. Go to this website to check your system requirements.