Answered By: Abigail Caraccio
Last Updated: Feb 27, 2018     Views: 1683

Under certain circumstances, an enrolled borrower is entitled to have the repayment of a loan deferred. During deferment, the borrower is not required to pay the loan principal, and interest on subsidized loans does not accrue. After the in-school deferment, the borrower may be entitled to one grace period of 6 consecutive months. The date that the deferment starts may affect the length of the grace period.

Students who have a valid Social Security number on file at Walden will have their enrollment reported and updated monthly with the National Student Clearinghouse (NSC). The NSC communicates electronically with the federal and non-federal loan servicers to ensure that students who remain enrolled maintain the in-school deferments for which they are eligible.

If your lender does not participate in the National Student Clearinghouse, you should print a loan deferment request form, which is normally found on your lender’s website.  Complete the request and send it to our Loan Deferment team.  You can fax it to them at 410-209-8044 or e-mail it to them at

For more information on this topic, please contact The Office of Financial Aid at

More Information

Need more information? Ask us!

Or browse Quick Answers by Topic.