Answered By: Emily Dahlen Last Updated: May 03, 2016 Views: 15104
In a hanging indent the first line of the reference is flush with the left hand margin of the page and each subsequent line of that reference is indented .5 inches.
Below is an example of a reference entry with a hanging indent:
- You can download the Course Paper template on the Writing Center's templates page and scroll down to the bottom of the paper for a full sample reference list formatted with hanging indents.
- Hint: If you type your own references into this pre-formatted template, you won’t need to format hanging indents yourself!
- You can also find instructions for formatting hanging indents on our MS Word Resources Website on Indents.
Need additional help?
- For other MS Word questions, contact the Academic Skills Center’s Microsoft Word Support Team.
- For general writing or APA style help, contact the Walden Writing Center.
- For writing or help with APA style for proposals, dissertation, or doctoral studies, contact the Walden Writing Center Editors.