Answered By: Juli Konopa
Last Updated: Dec 13, 2016     Views: 270

There is no policy against holding multiple different visa types – in fact, holding multiple visas is mandatory for those who enter the US repeatedly for different reasons. However, we have heard of some officers cancelling the B-1/B-2 visa as students apply for, or enter the US with, the F-1 visa. Every consular and customs officer is able to cancel a student’s visa if they feel it is prudent to do so.

We suggest you travel with the letter of support included in the Form I-20 packet that explains the purpose and length of an academic residency. In addition, you can bring a secondary letter of support from your employer explaining that once the residency is complete you will use your B-1/B-2 visa to enter the US for work. Finally, we recommend you speak politely with the officers you interact with and specify which visa to use every time you enter the United States.

More Information

Need more information? Ask us!

Or browse Quick Answers by Topic.