Answered By: Abigail Caraccio
Last Updated: Aug 31, 2017     Views: 5879

Students who wish to take a break from their courses for a short period of time may want to speak with their Academic Advisor regarding a Leave of Absence (LOA). Students can take one LOA ranging from 30-180 days in any 12-month cycle.

Important Information Regarding an LOA:

  • You can take a maximum of 180 days of LOA within any one 12-month period.
  • Students whose LOA begins on or before the last day to withdraw from classes will receive a W grade for all active courses in that term.
  • Students whose LOA begins after the withdrawal deadline will receive a grade based on the coursework they have completed up until the time the leave starts.
  • Concerns regarding Financial Aid eligibility while on LOA should be directed to the Financial Aid Office.
  • Students whose military obligations make it difficult to remain successful in their program will want to contact Walden's Office of Military Services office regarding a Military Leave of Absence. The Office of Military Services is available at

To request an LOA, please fill out the form located in your myWalden portal.


For more information regarding the Leave of Absence policy, please refer to your Student Handbook or find out how to contact an academic advisor.

More Information

Need more information? Ask us!

Or browse Quick Answers by Topic.